Saturday 18 October 2014

REGGIE THE POLAR BEAR GOES FOR A SWIM




There's a huddle of little porcelain polar bears on our side board. They belonged to my Grandma, and as I sat at the dining table wondering what to draw, my eyes rested on one of the slightly melancholy faces and before I knew it the same sad little face was looking up at me from my piece of paper. For some reason I imagined him in big Victorian-esque bloomers and threw in a polka-dot swimming cap for good measure. It was only after I'd finished and stepped back from the illustration that I thought - polar bear - swimming - broken ice - sad face - and realised that the piece kind of looks like a pointed comment on global warming! Up for interpretation, I suppose. And as for the name Reggie - well, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment