Monday 13 October 2014

THE MARCH GIRLS POSE FOR A PORTRAIT



If I were to put my love of art, writing, reading, films, plays etc into a pot, they'd all boil down to one thing: my love of stories. I love stories - I love hearing them, telling them, drawing them, watching them. I love real stories and I love made-up stories; I love big stories and I love little stories. I think at the very heart of me, I'm a storyteller.

This piece is inspired by one of my favourite stories: Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. I tried to incorporate a bit of each sister's personality (can you tell who's who?) and had a rather splendid time painting in the Victorian dresses and wallpaper - I do love a good vintage-themed drawing.

I imagine that Marmee or Mr. Laurence has arranged for a photographer to come to take a portrait of the March girls, but that there is a bit of a mixed response from the girls themselves. Jo, I think, is especially disinterested.



No comments:

Post a Comment